Friday, January 31, 2014

Hey y'all, watch this!

And so begins a redneck fairy tale (which is the kind they tell in my neck of the woods) or the tale of my muslin.  It's been cold here, single-digit, wicked cold! And I also know some of you would just like to see single digits and are telling me to man up and get over myself. But born and raised in the south ya'll. Well North Carolina is not deep south, but generally warmer than this.

So these wicked cold temperatures made me think of a piece of boiled wool that has been in my stash for a couple of years.  I ordered it to use with HP1031 Riviera Boulevard Cardigan-Jacket, but once I received it decided it was too thick/heavy for that pattern.  So I have waffled over possible patterns ever since.

Finally just told myself to flip a coin or something and pick one.  Picked Onion 1032, described as "Fitted raglan sleeved jacket or coat with shawl collar or hood. Darts on front pieces and 5 darts on back piece. Shoulder darts at sleeves. Closes with strings or ribbons that is sewn into the darts."  Recommend fabric is heavy knits or felted wool - perfect.

So here is my muslin with some pinned in changes, I remember measuring the shoulder-to-waist lengths, and evidently I fixed the back when I was tracing the pattern but not the front.  So the front waist is pinned up to match the back and the neck line gaps just a hair, so pinned a tiny dart out there.

Also I maybe should have straightened the jacket a little, it does meet in the middle, but I most often wear jackets open. Except when it's wicked cold!  I have substituted some better pictures with assistance from my daughter.

 
 
 

and the sides



-


The side seam looks to be hanging straight, but the front could use some work.  Just not sure what will be helpful.  Must give this some thought.




Just looking in the mirror, I thought it looked pretty good overall.  I decided to move the front darts more toward the center of the jacket.  It even feels pretty good even though the pattern is drafted for a knit and this muslin is an old sheet.  I hope making the real thing in a semi-stretchy knit will fix some of those shoulder wrinkles, cause I'm not sure I know how, what with a raglan sleeve and all.  OTH, I am planning on putting a hood on the finished version, so that will distract/cover up some of the problem.  And the real fabric is black, which will make it less noticeable. AND it looks at least as good as RTW that I would buy - if I were buying that is!

So the real fabric is waiting to be pretreated and cut.  A swatch is in the laundry room now to go through with the next load of clothes.  Something for me to remember - when I cut a swatch from my length of fabric, I cut a 4"x4" square and it promptly "shrunk" to 3.75" x 3.5". I'm guessing there was some tension that was released?

Any comments, suggestions, constructive criticisms welcomed and appreciated.

Happy Sewing, Suzanne

Edited to substitute some more helpful pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment