Thursday, December 22, 2011

I'm a pretty princess!

OK, so the fabric says sweet princess, but have I mentioned how much I really like alliteration. And I have to include DD - she's a sweet princess too.  We have the lingerie that says so.  I made 2 bras and 3 pairs of underwear from .5 yards of fabric and 1.5 yards lace, through creativity (snort), ingenuity (snort) and genius luck. I am pleased with how they turned out and DD says that hers are the most comfortable ever.

I used the Danglez DB5 for DD's bra.

I used the Sewy Rebecca pattern for mine.

Sorry for the blurry pictures - operator inefficiency

And there was one more pair of panties for DD.  All panties are from my Ottobre pattern, no real changes to that except for where the lace was added.

The lace was pieced to get enough height for the back of this pair, but luckily the seam is not obvious.

So I'll remember I got the tape measure out and did some comparisons - my Kwik Sew 3300 does the best job of keeping the girls hoisted and front & center.  For the next renditions, I will be doing some adjusting on my Sewy and Danglez patterns to move the apex a little closer to the center.  Beverly Johnson's Bra-Making Manual has excellent instructions for this.  I will also tighten up the band slightly.

I am also going to trace a pattern piece specifically for the fashion fabric that is approximately 1/8" smaller so that it will stretch over the inner lining piece.  Trying to do it as I sew and baste is not working as well as I would like.

Happy Sewing, Suzanne

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Congratulations, It's a Beignet

I have actually had this skirt completed for some time now.  I even got pictures, I just have not had the time or the motivation to post. 

I really like this skirt.  This is the first Collette pattern that I have used and really can't say enough good things about it.  The packaging is really nice, the drafting and directions are excellent. 

I'm 5'10", so I added about 4" to length and need to add several more (my knees need camoflauge) and need to add a FBA (full bum adjustment - lol).  Since it was a little shorter than my preference, DD has ended up with it and she is modeling for the pictures. So here it is, in navy with no discernable details -

It needs ironing, but see her knees are covered - not that her's need but she is a few inches shorter than I am.

I actually used my Geiger buttonholer on this project.  It worked like a charm, so I have 14 beautiful buttonholes that you can't see because there are no discernable details.

I will make this again, with the above mentioned adjustments.  I have material and buttons from the stash earmarked just for this.

Happy Sewing, Suzanne