Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Style Ruts

In an effort to break out of my style rut I have been reading The Triumph of Individual Style : A Guide to Dressing Your Body, Your Beauty, Your Self
and
Brenda Kinsel's Fashion Makeover: 30 Days to Diva Style!

It's been slow going, but so far I have decided that I am a moulded (fluffy) body type and a figure 8 silhouette, possibly leaning toward an O. I should use drapey and medium-drape fabrics, or if using stiff fabrics use patterns that conform to the curves of my body.  That's from the Triumph of Individual Style.

Also, by reading Fashion Makeover, I have been made aware to two style ruts -
  1. My use of color in my wardrobe is almost non-existent.  I think this is kind of sad, as I like to consider myself a creative person.  I don't really think the lack of color is a style statement such as some people carry off beautifully, but more of a cop-out or laziness, take your pick.
  2. My ability to accessorize sucks, I mean really sucks.  DD has almost despaired of getting me to use and/or wear anything other that basic pocketbooks and shoes.  Scarfs and belts currently do not reside in my wardrobe. 
These are the two big ones I would like to fix.

In an effort to break out of these style ruts and (hopefully!) see items of clothing a little more objectively, I am going to try and take pictures of daily outfits.  That way I can get a realistic idea of what I am currently wearing and where I should change.  This is my intention, but you know what they say about intentions and roads to bad places ;) 

So going to make friends with my camera and tripod now.

Happy Sewing, Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment