Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Catching Up - The Sewing Workshop Edition

These are a couple of tops that I managed to get done during the insane work period.  Both are from the Sewing Workshop line.

The first one is the Olive from the Alex & Olive pattern.  I  started with the size L for the shoulders and bust and graded out to the XL for the hips. Have I mentioned that I am a sucker for the "flowy", effortlessly chic look? It doesn't always work on me, but I will almost always try it. I am happy to say that this was mostly a success. 

Don't know what was going, but this
was the best facial expression we could get
It did not look quite as "flowy" on me as the line drawings led me to believe, even though my measurements fit pretty squarely in the size range I used.  That's OK, this was a test anyway and I think I have figured out how to fix it when I make it again.

I will add a triangle of fabric in the seam that wraps to the front to add a little more room at the hips.  I'm leaving the shoulders and bust alone, because they are a comfortable fit.

I may try to shorten that back waist a little, or maybe not, the extra fabric in front may take care of that. I will also try to remember to use a light interfacing behind the zipper.

It's a good thing this one was a test, because the fabric has let me down.  The stripe is from Girl Charlee and I have had it several years in the stash. So not a clue what the fabric content is but after only a couple of wears it has pilled up so badly.  The solid is a rayon/lycra blend from WalMart (approximately 5-6 years ago), of all places, and it has held up way better than the more expensive fabric.

Oops, tired, punchy, and too many reruns of Cops
Like I said it was a trial run of the pattern, so I'm not too miffed.  I will the reclaim the zipper and use it in another project.  I do have a much nicer fabric from the stash planned to make this pattern again.

The other top is the Odette pattern from the Odette and Ivy.  I used the same sizing as the Olive for this one. And I'm pretty sure that the only change I made to pattern was to scoop the neck out about 1.5" and looking at this picture I may scoop it out a little more on the re-make.  Those high necks are just not comfortable and not my best look.

I used 3 T-shirts that I thrifted from the local Goodwill. 

Got a little Velcro butt going on here
I have gotten quite a few compliments on both of these tops and dear daughter has asked for versions to add to her closet.  Can't beat that!!! Overall I am happy with both of these tops and plan to use both patterns again.

Me and my photographer

Happy Sewing, Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment