Her description - "The Evelyn handbag is not only practical BUT stylish too! Complete with two zippered pockets (One exterior and one inside) to keep your valuables secure. Two elasticized exterior pockets for your phone or keys, 3 additional inside pockets as well as a pen pocket. With a little patience it is easy to make! Dress it up with some nice shiny rivets & bag feet or keep it simple! The choice is yours! Finished bag size = Approx. 33cm (13") X 20cm (8") X 10cm ( 4")"
This is a great pattern! Much like the free pattern I tried by Christine it is well drafted, well-photographed and the instructions are impeccable.
I changed a few things -
- I did not have rectangle or oval rings, so I used the square ones I did have. I think it still worked out and looks nice.
- I used Annie's Soft & Stable instead of the fleece recommended. It just gives a bag a little more structure. I may never go back to just fleece.
- The directions tell you when attaching your lining to leave an opening along the top front edge to turn your bag through. It will be closed by pressing the seam allowance to the inside and edge-stitching and top-stitching. I have never been able to get a neat closing like that, so I left an opening at the bottom of the lining and slip stitched it closed after turning.
|Inside - please ignore messy stuff!|
- Work on the edge-stitching and top-stitching. To me it still looks kinda wonky.
- Use a thumb catch or other latch on the flap. It's strictly a personal preference, not a design flaw, but I'm finding out I don't really care for magnet closures on the outside of my bags.
All in all a great bag! I love all the pockets and the inside zipper pocket is such a neat trick! (wish I'd have gotten a picture of it) Received several unsolicited compliments on it while out and about, can't beat that!
|More handbag bling!|
Happy Sewing, Suzanne