Friday, May 23, 2014

Pool Side Tote

So I actually got this finished a couple weeks ago, but remembering to get good batteries for the camera foiled my attempts to get it posted. Sigh...

Anyway, this months pattern is from noodlehead and is a easy quick sew.  That is if you choose to follow the designers advice for fabric choices.  I, of course, did not. I chose to use some quilting cottons (heavy weight linen or home-dec fabric is recommended) that were in my stash, so on the exterior pieces it is layered with a thin, lightweight batting and an old sheet.  I cut all pieces slightly larger that the pattern piece, free-motion quilted (which needs a lot of practice! lots and lots of practice!) and then recut to size.


The lining pieces are also a quilting cotton, which I interfaced with a medium weight non-woven interfacing. As an aside, I remember buying this fabric because I really liked the colors and thought the abstract design was pretty cool.  When the shop owner laid it out on the table to cut it for me, she said "It looks like brains, doesn't it?" Me, laughing-"well, now that you mention it"

 
The handles and trim are made from some heavyweight denim that was leftover from another project.  I think the pattern recommends quilting weight fabric for these pieces, so folding the handles to get that nice rolled look was tough.


The pattern itself is well designed and went together very easily.  The directions and illustrations are also very good.  This thing is huge! I plan on using mine for shopping, since I don't see many pool sides.

Not much more sewing going on here.  Son and DDIL are coming to visit.  I'm so excited! we don't get to see them but twice a year.  After their visit though, I will need plenty of projects to keep me busy and out of trouble. Got them stacked up on the cutting table, ready to go.


Happy Sewing, Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment